Matt (@tugglmatt) pointed this out and theorized a bit about why they exceeded the performance of the other gajillion websites out on the information superhighway. He asked: “Top 10 web retailers by conv. rate. Is it traffic quality? site optimization? user intent? interesting chart…”
This got me wondering, so I checked out a sampling of three that I wasn’t intimately familiar with. I suspect that conversion rates at a site like ‘OfficeDepot.com’ might partially be so strong because of their obvious brand leadership. Along the same lines, I figured that a site from a company who was not the obvious industry leader might be more related to its layout and design quality…
I found ProFlowers.com (same company family as RedEnvelope.com and others) to be especially sharp and awesome. Roaman’s is awesome too. I find the actual product listings sub-pages to be more attractive than the index page on all 3 examples.
So here’s a quick hit list of my observations. Clearly, this isn’t the whole story, but I noticed the following common threads:
First, they all have the obvious, clean layout, seo friendly text link navigation, nice buttons, sharp edges.
- All have bright colors, either a pretty pastel or otherwise attractive coloring
- Lot of white space, or clean space
- All have trust signals clearly displayed…McAfee, plus Verisign or another
- All have narrow page width, not 1000mpx, would fit horizontally on small-ish monitor
- Product prices in red font
- Large selection of relatively low cost products
- Images’ prices displayed below the image, not to the side
- Full secondary product pages always 4 columns wide, many rows tall,
- Prices in red font in two of them
- Attractive smiling women on index page of two
- All have nav bar across top, not along side
- All have a search box clearly displayed at the top
- Order Status, Track My Order links at top of every one
So what do you all think? What about these sites makes their per-visitor conversion so much higher? Notice something in common among them that are unobvious? Other examples of the finest sites you can think of?